Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mayoral Recall? The King is Dead...Long Live the King!



It didn't take long to read on this blog. A person has written that the mayor should be recalled. They cited 300 votes (approx.) to do this. They didn't waste any time eh?
This writer thinks that recalling the mayor now is the wrong move at the wrong time. The recent council elections were all about the continued reign of the City Manager, not the performance or lack thereof of the mayor.

Recalling the mayor would start a bloody internecine war in the Council chambers. There's way too much to do for a sidebar issue to derail the council's already strained relationship with the City Manager and Mayor.
The Mayor-Pro-Tem nomination fiasco showed the impotentance of Mayor Bryce and defined the current coalitions on the council. Mayor Bryce recalled himself by playing the heavy instead of the peacemaker Monday night.


Let's hold off on calls for the head of the king. He will willingly place his head on the block apparently by backing the wrong move and listening to poor advice. Hopefully he has learned from this one and will be his "own person".

My opinion is to take a good look at the role and function of the current city staff, are they doing their jobs, are we moving forward to expedite public works projects that have languished while the council "fiddles", why do we only have ONE (1) commercial building permit for this year and only 105 housing permits ("that's the economy stupid"-right?), and why our Economic Development Council has not closed on getting some major retail into our city. Those are major issues that impact my tax bill.

Kicking the mayor for being politically naive is a waste of energy. Please allow him to do that to himself or not. Let's see if he'll rise to the challenge. If not, let's take him out and replace him with Eric Smith for the remaining term....then Mr. Smith can run on HIS record. I'm not a betting person but I'd lay odds he'd kick any other potential contenders arse!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean we can't recall the mayor for not supporting our guys like the previous mayor did?

Anonymous said...

ONE MAN'S HONESTY IS ANOTHER MAN'S POLITICAL NAIVITE!

Anonymous said...

Eric says Ron is prejudiced. Ron says that isn't true, some of his best friends are councilmen.

Steve Miller said...

I've not heard Eric say Ron's predjudiced but I'm just in Ben's back pocket right?

Anonymous said...

Steve, I was just trying to bring a little levity into the discussion. I was referring back to comments made on a previous blog. Cheers!

Steve Miller said...

Levity is definitely needed here...Red Oak politics is SO serious all the time. I was too obtuse to catch the turn of phrase...sorry for being an ass-clown on that one...

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely correct! I don't think we need to waste time trying to get rid of the paper weight that sits in the center chair. I believe he is about to have his own "come to Jesus" meeting in the near future. Man this is going to be interesting to watch!

APW

Anonymous said...

I do love reading all of the blogs and subsequent comments on this site. I agree that RO politics have been quite the circus lately and that there are some changes (needed changes by the way) coming down the pipes with the election of Mr. Goodwyn. Here's the only thing I don't like reading...comments on "city employees" not doing their jobs. I AM a city employee, and I sort of take offense to that. I won't comment as to what department/capacity I work in, but it's a little disheartening to read that all of the employees should be under scrutiny. Honestly, we're WAY more sick of hearing about this crap than the public probably is...after all, we're right in the midst of it and have gotten our fill. Please be a little more specific when talking about city employees not doing their jobs...if you're referring to the city manager, or whoever, talk about them. I agree that the top of the food chain may be in need of an overhaul, but for the most part, our city's employees are great, hard working, qualified people...please don't put all of our people under the same umbrella.

Steve Miller said...

Point taken...I'll do so from now on.
I appreciate your post and agree with you on all points.

Please don't be a stranger here!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Steve...I just wanted to point out that we're not all bad here at the City, so thanks for publishing my comment! I'm also glad that you decided to start this blog separate from the Ellis Co Observer - I think your comments and opinions are right on with the drama that is going on up here. I would like to meet you sometime and hear some of your thoughts first-hand on the circus better known as Red Oak City Hall.